Friday 23 December 2011

Cavalli! (Part 1)

For the uninitiated: I'm currently Doing Dubai (posts to come in the days following Christmas when I gain a companion to re-do all of the touristy things with). I've spent three months of my life here, living at The Fairmont, which is happily situated above one of Dubai's hottest nightclubs: Cavalli. With only three weeks left, I've finally decided to get off my bum and enter the infamous pit of sparkles and debauchery.

Pre-Preparation

The first, and apparently most important, rule of Cavalli (according to my in-house veteran, M) is that "too much is never enough". You can never have enough diamonds and sequins, you can never have enough hair, and you can never have enough skin showing. The prude in me balks a little at that last "rule", but I think I've managed to come up with an outfit that will allow me to fit in without losing (or showing) myself too much.



My "dress":
I won't put up a full-length pic because it's very short, and I would like to remain a Good Girl (there are so few left on the internet these days). It's pretty much A-line, and completely covered in gold/silver* reversible sequins, which is endless fun (especially when a little tipsy). In this shot I also tried and failed to show my jewellery against the backdrop of the dress. What you can't see on my bangles is that the inner side is gold, contrasting with the corrugated silver outer side*, so when I wave my arm around (again, especially frequent when I'm tipsy) you get flashes of both colours, which matches the dress perfectly.


Here's more of a close-up which unfortunately still fails to show the full effect:
Also: MY EARRINGS. They say "happy", which is not at all apparent in this photo. I got these from my mum for either my birthday or Christmas in 2009 from Swarovski (they're long-gone from official stores by now of course, but there are still a few pairs on eBay). I love them, but rarely think to wear them since they're kept in their box rather than out on display with my other jewellery. But they're the only "bling" earrings that I brought with me from Sydney, so I didn't really have a choice. I think they go nicely, but it would be nice if they had some gold on them somewhere*.

* BLASPHEMIES. One of my pet hates is mixed silver/gold or white gold/yellow gold jewellery. IMO those pieces can only work in especially specific circumstances, such as this one!

The next piece may seem a little controversial, and at first I didn't like the look at all. I thought it was definitely too much. But M reassured me of the supremacy of The Rule, and the longer I wore it the more I grew to like it:

It offsets my shoes and clutch nicely, which are both basic black and not worth discussing. In fact I might leave my clutch behind; after all, I live right upstairs!










Right, now that I've got my outfit sorted, it's time to take a long nap. Nobody who's anybody goes anywhere near the club until after midnight, so I'll need to refresh if I want to keep going until the wee hours.

-B

No comments:

Post a Comment